Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Current Projects

Alright so I've been pretty busy with things lately, and I thought I'd post a little update to show you guys what I've been up to besides Illustration Friday. Above is the design I made in Corel Draw for a Batman T-Shirt Design.

Lately through some lovely talks with my sister, I've come to realize for the first time why I'm motivated to stay in Graphic Design. In the past I've struggled with some limitations and I've questioned my career choice. But after completing two particular projects (the batman above, and another that I will be posting soon), it brought me back to the reason I began this field in the first place. It's really the little things I love, those subtle steps in the process that make the final image what it is. Like in photoshop when you use a simple high pass layer and brushes to make an image go from an ordinary scene to a runner in space (hint, that's the future project I'll be posting). Or in the batman work, when I had to shut down Corel Draw every time I made those cutout lines, sure it was a tad frustrating, but at the same time it made me excited to see the final project.

I couldn't care less if my work gets noticed or not, I do it for the sheer satisfaction of creating something that 5 years ago I didn't think I was capable of making. That's the real beauty of this business to me, it's not the worked I've produced, it's the excitement of learning new things to improve on in the future! When I'm done one project I'm probably satisfied for about 5 minutes, then all I can think about is the things I did wrong that I can improve on next time. That drive is key, because eventually all the excitement of getting your work noticed is gone, and you're really left with nothing to keep you going. Or, that's how I felt about all of last year... the best compliment I ever get is when my sister looks over my shoulder at my work and says, yea it's good but this isn't quite right, or this or that. It drives me to perfect my work at all times. And the absolute most beautiful part, is that drive will never run out, because I'll never be perfect.. far from it. All I can do is keep going to produce the best work I can, until I learn something new and start all over again.

Anyway that was my whole little "philosophy" on design, I guess? It works for me anyway, and might not work for others. But it's always good to hear different perspectives in this, so I would really love to hear what drives you to do whatever it is that you do! Please leave a comment or contact me via email (overdose.joddi@gmail.com) to share what your passionate about and why!

Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE IT :D now when can i get mine :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting the prints next week hopefully!

      Delete
  2. I always wonder if other artists and classmates felt that way about the process. Good to know it isn't just me! Finish the art, proud for a minute, and then that pride kind of dwindles as you think what you could have done better. It's always good to remember that and keep changing and improving.

    Awesome work, as always Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I really think its a good thing, if we didn't want to better ourselves than our work would never stand out :)

      Delete